Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Worry Monster

As I was lying in bed this morning, desperately waiting for my little owlet to fall blissfully back to sleep, listening to the sniffs and snuffles of his stuffy nose, I started thinking about how much as mothers, and parents, we worry about our little ones. It made me wonder if other mammals worry about their young as much as we do. Sure they teach their young to avoid predators, or cars, or whatever, but at some point, their little ones, like ours, go off on their own. Do they worry about them? Do they listen to them sleep? Both relieved and frustrated when they start to fuss? For some of us, the worry begins before they are even conceived, as we worry about whether we even CAN get pregnant, and once we are pregnant, we worry that it won't last, and once we hit the 13 week mark (and can breathe a little easier, sort of), there's even more to worry about. Complications. Defects. Life Threatening Illness. That "S" word that keeps me awake at night, listening to him breathe.

I can't even imagine how much more I will continue to worry as my little Owlexander gets older, and is able to get into things, goes off to school, starts high school, goes off to College (shudder). My friend has a saying "love deeply, hold loosely." During times like this, a statement like that is something I should remember, as difficult as it is to "hold loosely." I think we worry so much because we love so much. I hope that when the time comes, that Alex will know that he's safe and loved as he goes off to explore the world, and that I'll be here, worrying away.

1 comment:

  1. "Love deeply, hold loosely" is definitely a rule to live by. As Alex gets older there will be more and more things to think about, be concerned about or just plain worry about. Each new "adventure" is a reason for joy and worry. Hold on to the joy and TRY to let the worry go. Good parents worry but still allow their little one to learn and explore their world even though they just want to hold them close and keep them safe.I have no doubt that you and Phil will allow him Alex to "spread his wings" when the time is right and will rejoice in EVERY accomplishment . Alex is a very lucky little guy.

    ReplyDelete