Thursday, May 19, 2011

new mommy rituals


I am not a "ritual" person. Not really. I should be. I went to Naropa, after all. Ultimate home of rituals. But I'm not. Although, I am realizing that I am becoming the type of person that needs to do things at a certain time of day, everyday. It helps the owlet go to bed, for one thing, if we have our nightly ritual of bath time, story time, nursing time, rocking time and crib time.

After he goes to bed, however, I now have my own set of rituals.
1. Finish the glass of wine that I started to have at dinner. Perhaps pour myself a little bit more.
2. Wash the bottles, pump parts and bowls. (This is my least favorite part of the nightly routine.)
3. Eat cookies while checking up on facebook, law-momma and rants from mommyland.
4. Get sucked into some cheesy movie or long time fav (tonight it's Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets)
5. Become totally exhausted by 8:30
6. Head to bed, determined to read for longer than 20 minutes, but end up getting too tired to get in more than 10.
7. Cross my fingers that the owlet sleeps for longer than another hour so that I can get some much needed sleep.

Are these rituals, or is this just routine? Are they the same thing? I honestly have no idea. It was a ritual that we "bowed out" at the end of every class and meeting at Naropa, and because it was a ritual, it also became routine, in that when I graduated and started a job, I wondered why we still didn't bow out of everything.

I guess it doesn't really matter, so long as I still get my nightly glass of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment