Friday, February 24, 2012

Recommended Reading, part 2


I seriously LOVE working in a library. And I just got a promotion so that I can actually help people find books, which is awesome. The hard part of this is that people ask me for recommendations for books. Well, that's not really the hard part. The hard part is dealing with people who forget that I am also a person and that they can treat me like crap.

Anyway. I've been on a reading spree since Series 4 of Doctor Who ended, and series 5 has taken forever to come in for me at said library. So, here, in no particular order, are my suggestions for some new reads.

Gregor the Overlander, by Suzanne Collins. (yes, that Suzanne Collins). It's a kids's fantasy series, and it starts with this one. It started a little weird, I'm not going to lie. But it got a lot better. It's basically about a boy who ends up falling through this portal thing and ends up in a world underneath New York. He has to save his Dad, and he's with his baby sister, which provides both a sweet and sometimes humorous element.

Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline. Super fun sci-fi/fantasy novel. Technically it's called a "gamer novel" but you don't have to be into video games to dig it. There's also a TON of 80's references, which were super fun. It's got everything, really. Hero's journey, fighting against the system, and a love story, all in one. I really loved this book.

The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials, by James Dashner. Books one and two of the Maze Runner trilogy. (I'm currently on book three. I'm not diggin it as much.) For those of you missing The Hunger Games, this series fills that void, somewhat. Another dystopian fantasy world, in the very distant future, there's a disease called The Flare that's affected almost everyone on the planet. While you don't get as attached to the main characters as you might have done with HG, it still has that same feeling. The best thing is that it grabs you on page one, and doesn't let go, until the end of book 2.

Maine by Courtney Sullivan. I started this book but haven't gotten very far in it. I think I'm too into the fantasy/sci-fi genre right now, and I couldn't really handle the family drama. But what I read of it was pretty good.

Sisters Grimm series, numbers 1 and 2 (and currently reading 3) by Michael Buckley. Fun, easy books (more kids chapter books) about the Sisters Grimm, descendants of the Brothers Grimm. Yes, those Brothers. It's fun to see the characters you already know (or think you know) in a different light.

The Writer's Tale, by Russell T. Davies. I have been reading this book every day on my lunch break for the past 6 weeks. It has taken me that long, and I'm only halfway through. This book is HUGE, and awesome. It is so cool to see RTD's process in writing Doctor Who. How he comes up with these insane names, like Raxicoricofallapatorius. Actually, he hasn't talked about that. They're just sort of...there. But it's cool. It's really cool. Plus, pictures of David Tennant. Hello! awesome already.

One for the Money, by Janet Evanovich. I took a dabble in the mystery realm, because it's one of the areas where I feel like I really lack. I enjoyed this book, although there were certain parts that were REALLY hard for me to read. But it was fun. I wouldn't mind reading another one of hers, although I've heard that after a while they become pretty similar, but we'll see.

So, I think that's all for now. I have 4 books currently checked out which I have yet to start, so I'll be updating ya'll again soon on more recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment