Saturday, December 4, 2010

First week down, a trillion more to go

I survived my first week back to work. Sort of. Well, of course I survived, since I'm still here, but man. It. Was. Hard. Thank heaven my MIL was willing to bring my owlet to me a few days during the week so that I could feed him during my lunch, and I was able to go to him a few other days for the same thing. But leaving him twice in one day instead of just once? Sucky. Is it more sucky that not seeing him all day? I don't know yet. Next week I won't be so lucky. Full days seeing clients. Blech.

I am desperately trying to find something else. Something that might allow me to work part time. Or to take Alex with me to work. Or to never have to work again. Ha. Wouldn't that be grand? I'm still waiting on that lotto money folks, so any time now you can send it my way, kay?

In the mean time, I guess I'll just keep plugging away at this job that I'm completely burned out on so that I can sort of help provide for my family. Have I mentioned the fact that the hubs watches tv for a living and gets paid like, twice as much as I do? OK, maybe that's an exaggeration of sorts, but still. And yes he does more than just watch tv, but it's the principle of the thing. I'm trying to change kids lives here, and he's watching television at all hours of the night. To be fair, there's nothing on tv late at night, so I guess some of his pay comes from the fact that he has to work ungodly hours when there's nothing on except bad movies and infomercials. Believe me, I know. I tend to be up with lil man at ungodly hours waiting desperately for him to fall back to sleep.

I think that's been one of the harder things about going back to work: waking up on time. When I was on that glorious maternity leave, I could sleep all day, or when Alex let me sleep. If he woke up at 5am to eat, no worries if he didn't fall back asleep until 7:00, I could just snooze with him on my chest. NOW when he wakes up at 5:00, I might as well just stay up, because my alarm is going off by the time I get him back to sleep anyway. I'll admit there have been quite a few days where I have been running insanely late, but oh well. I guess it all comes from being a mom. The nice thing is that no one is really here to keep tabs on me other than myself, so if I'm a smidge late here and there, no one is really the wiser. Right?

The other adjustment? Pumping at work. Oy, This is a hassle and a half. I will continue to do it, of course, because I think it's what's best for my lil man, but wow. Between feeling totally paranoid that someone is going to walk into my office when I have this contraption strapped to me, washing the darn things in between pumpings (carrying breast pump pieces through an elementary school? Awesome, btw.) and lugging the thing to and from work everyday? I might just go crazy. Of course, the pain of NOT pumping is so not worth it either, And I could be a lot worse off, I know there's several women who have to pump in tiny little closets or icky bathrooms somewhere, so I'm not complaining that much. It's just another fun little adjustment to being a working mom.

That and walking around with spit-up all over your clothes because you didn't have time to change before leaving for work. Fun times.

No comments:

Post a Comment