Tuesday, February 22, 2011

bubble boy

image via

Doesn't that look like fun? I want one of these for the owlet. Only I want him to be in it all the time. When I was younger and single, I worried about things sometimes. After I got married, I worried about things a lot more. I worried about something happening to the hubs or to me. Now that I'm a mom with a family, I worry about things A LOT. Something happening to the hubs, to me, and of course, to the owlet.

I stopped watching the news a long time ago, because in my profession I just couldn't handle hearing terrible, traumatic things on the news because I hear terrible, traumatic things everyday. Recently I realized that I can no longer watch Grey's Anatomy. A show I loved for a long time, then stopped watching for a little while for no reason other than I forgot about it, and then fell back in love with, I can no longer watch because people, families, babies: they get sick and hurt and die on that show. And that's not ok, because it just adds to my fear that something unexpected will happen to someone that I love.

A few months back my best friend from high school lost her husband in a tragic car accident. Stuff like that is not supposed to happen. My friend should not be a widow at 34. There was a car accident the other day near where I work and a family of 5 was killed. That's not supposed to happen either. A co-worker's son has a brain tumor. Everyday people are diagnosed with cancer. Or Lukemia. Or some other life threatening illness.

I don't want to be afraid for my son all the time, because that's no way to live. I don't want to raise him to be afraid of everything. I want him to be able to go out and live life, because that's what it's there for. But I'd be lying if I said that I didn't want to move to some island somewhere where bad things never happen and no one can ever get sick. Or if I could stick him in a bubble so that he could never get hurt. I know it didn't work so well for John Travolta, but maybe it'll work for the owlet?
image via



Of course I say most of this in jest, but there is a part of me, a large part of me, that struggles with living life to the fullest, anjoying every moment, and teaching the owlet to do the same. Because what I really want to do is cling tightly to the owlet so that he never experiences an ounce of pain or heartache.

But like Dory says so well in Finding Nemo: "If you never let anything happen to him, then nothing will ever happen to him." Smart fish, that Dory.


1 comment:

  1. I think this would especially be great for keeping kids from spreading all their germs to each other. Sick kids is a bummer you know? Just thought I'd say hello so you know I'm out here reading! :)

    ReplyDelete