Monday, April 11, 2011

it is time

Friends, I write this with a heavy heart. But I think it is time to let the owlet....


cry. it. out. at least for a little bit. Because seriously. I cannot get up every hour and a half anymore. I just can't. I don't know if it's teething (because I've thought he's been teething for oh, 5 months.) or if it's separation anxiety. Or if he's just trying to mess with me because he loves seeing a bleary eyed barely functioning mommy all day. (like how he likes to see me pick up his binky that he drops on the floor a million times.) I do know that he CAN sleep through the night. Because he has. For one wonderfully blissful week, he slept from 8-6. All on his own. One morning I actually had to wake him up. And then, this. Back to worse than he was that first week we brought him home. THAT was understandable. THIS is hairpulloutable.


I don't know that I have the strength to do this, mind. Last night I tried to let him CIO. For all of a minute. But then he started shrieking like his life was ending, and seriously. Who can even sleep with that going on? Never mind being worried that my neighbors are going to call the cops on me because I must be committing some horrible crime against my child with the way he's screaming.


When I finally went to him 2 minutes later and decided to change what he was swaddled in, all hell broke loose. I couldn't even put him back down on the bed to reswaddle without being met with those horrific cries.


So, can I do this tonight? Probably early on. The 9:00, 10:30 and 11ish times should be fairly easy. Right? It's the 2:30 or 3:00 ones. Where I am just so. bloody. tired. That I can't stand it anymore and into bed with me he goes.


Who's sleep training who here?


Wish us luck. I could be in for a long night. But then, what else is new?


***********************************************************************************

UPDATE:

So, we tried. Really hard. He cried. Really hard. For about 20 minutes. The hubs and I sat there on the couch listening to these wails, and we reminded each other that we are not bad parents. That he needs to learn to self-soothe. That he was fed, and dry and clean and safe. And then, he. fell. asleep. For almost 2 hours! (success? I don't know). The hubs shushed him and rocked him and let him fuss a little bit around 10:00, and then, he slept until 3:30! There's my old owlet!


But then, well, then I was just too darn tired and it was too darn late, and in to bed with me he came.


Ahh well. There's always tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment